Fighting for Our Future
The Palm Coast-Flagler Regional Chamber of Commerce Government Affairs Committee is led by Chairperson Chelsea Barney Herbert (4Cs Trucking and Excavation).
The next regular meeting of the Government Affairs Committee is on Wednesday, August 11, 2021, at 9:30 a.m.
The committee recently met to review the outcome of the 2021 Florida Legislative Session, as it relates to the Chamber’s legislative priorities, and to review the 2021 voting records of Senator Travis Hutson and Representative Paul Renner. The below PDF report titled, “2021 Florida Legislative Session Priorities Report” is available to download.
Looking ahead, the Chamber is already working with local government and private sectors partners to develop our 2022 Florida Legislative Priorities, working on local government impact fee increases, Flagler County Land Development Code issues and more.
2021 Florida Legislative Session Priorities Report
Below were the Chamber’s 2021 Legislative Priorities, approved by the Board of Directors. The Chamber was actively advocating these issues on behalf of businesses leaders in our region:
- Support any positive MedNex project issues and oppose any issues that adversely impact MedNex.
- Support COVID-19 initiatives that help Flagler County businesses recover from the global pandemic, including any legislation that protects businesses from frivolous COVID-19 lawsuits from customers or employees. The committee also supported any initiative or legislative that provides direct financial or resource support to small businesses. UPDATE: Gov. DeSantis signed SB 72, protecting job creators. MORE HERE.
- Support economic development initiatives that promote job growth and median wage growth.
- Support education and workforce development initiatives that positively impact Flagler County, including “Flagship” and “Classroom to Careers” programs.
- Support health and wellness initiatives that positively impact Flagler County’s healthcare industry, including hospitals and medical professionals.
- Close the online sales tax loophole and use revenue to improve the state’s business climate. UPDATE: Gov. DeSantis signed SB 50, supporting job creators. MORE HERE.
- Reduce the Florida-only Business Rent Tax. UPDATE: Gov. DeSantis signed SB 50, supporting job creators. MORE HERE.
- Continue to support and fund affordable housing initiatives including SHIP and similar programs.
- Visit Flagler Tourism Priority: Funding for Visit Florida
- The Chamber supports public funding for VISIT FLORIDA so that Florida’s tourism industry can produce jobs, sales tax revenue, fuel taxes and economic growth into our state economy.
- Flagler County Legislative Priorities Supported by the Chamber:
- Support initiatives that promote affordable and reliable high-speed internet throughout Flagler County, and
- Support grant programs that assist Flagler County paving farm-to-market roads.
- Daytona State College Legislative Priorities Supported by the Chamber:
- Support Daytona State College’s Flagler County Nursing and Health Sciences Equipment and Faculty initiative, which expands DSC’s nursing program to include state of the art equipment and a faculty member to help expand RN degree to health professionals in emergency medicine, respiratory care and LPN.
The Palm Coast-Flagler Regional Chamber’s Governmental Affairs Committee meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 9:30 a.m. at the Chamber offices and via Zoom. For more information, email Greg@palmcoastflaglerregionalchamber.com